Saturday, October 9, 2010

Something to celebrate, Mackinaw Island!



Now that we have faded into fall, can I mention Spring? I know, winter is creeping in a little to quick so let's think Spring for a moment. Oh, but can I also mention I love road trips; the hunt for a fun adventure, time with loved ones in a unique setting & reminiscing once it has come to an end!

So I'm reminiscing and dreaming of returning... but this past spring, May 2nd, 2010 my thoughtful husband of one year planned a celebratory weekend to Mackinaw Island for our 1st anniversary! I can remember as a child visiting the island for memorable family vacations but this seemed like an entirely different destination revisiting as a newlywed. I think this is because the island has so much to offer and there are many ways to experience it.

Many people choose to stay off the island in Mackinaw city for more affordable lodging and then take the ferry over. I think the best way to enjoy and appreciate the beauty of Mackinaw Island is to stay there, so shop around to find the deals! Steve and I went opening weekend when great specials were offered and we lucked out with the weather being sunny and comfortable both Saturday & Sunday. We left on a Friday and stayed two nights at The Cottage Inn, Bed & Breakfast (two nights is ideal). It was so cozy, especially considering our first night on the Island brought very cold and rainy weather! Nonetheless, the comfy rooms equipped with a selection of games and Dvd's downstairs kept us entertained while we relaxed. While there, I was thankful for my discovery of my new favorite movie, The Blindside!

Steve, can I mention they were very accommodating and hospitable? Upon arriving they offered us a plunger for the toilet even, Oops. What a way to start celebrating right?! But really, the innkeepers were wonderful people, so kind and every morning they had a delicious breakfast prepared for us to enjoy.

Experiencing the Island early in the season allowed us free reign to everything, we felt like the only guests on the island. It was hassle free with no lines for carriage tours, bike rentals, restaurants, fudge shops, ect. We tasted at every fudge shop, which yes, you should do this. After talking to locals and with our amazing taste testing abilities voted Joanne's Fudge to be the best. What's your favorite? We brought fudge home for everyone! My little four year old friend, Jack, said "Are you going back again soon?" He was very happy I was able to have a fun getaway and was eager to have me go back, for the fudge, I know.

I would highly recommend Mackinaw Island, it can be a very romantic, peaceful getaway or a high energy, family fun event! Whatever you make of it. My mom always says, "I love to go away but I love to come home." I think this is true of wherever you visit but I'm so glad my home sweet home is here in Michigan!

No comments:

Post a Comment