Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Something to look forward to, Michigan Summer.



The planner in me, I think secretly drives my husband crazy! Although, who doesn't love something great to look forward to?  Especially when it's an adventure and a getaway from our day to day routine! Where to then?  Well, today I'm going to encourage you to get out your planner and start looking into our beautiful summer months in Michigan.  Now,  I'm not much for camping but it can be a great way to discover a new place while definitely creating some excitement along the way.

This past August, my husband and I went camping for two weekends in a row both times with different groups of friends.  I realize we are experiencing fall now and soon to be winter but if you're interested in camping and at an ideal location, my advice is to start planning!  My recommendation is to go to Wilderness State Park which is located on the northwest tip of the lower peninsula near Mackinaw City.  There are campsites available with beautiful scenic views of lake Michigan right on the beach. The road the campground sits off offers views of the Mackinaw bridge and a cozy little general store with the BEST doughnuts.  My husband and I aren't typically campers so this campground offered restroom facilities with showers and access to both Mackinaw City and Mackinaw Island nearby.  The  possibilities are endless with camping whether your interests are fishing, hiking, biking, kyaking, picnicing, sun bathing or just relaxing with friends and family.

Sometimes there is nothing better on a summer night than a relaxing campfire where you can enjoy not only Smores but also gorgeous stargazing.  With patience, expect to see a few shooting stars too!! Shooting stars always remind me to keep dreaming, which is what we are doing... with dreaming comes planning! We chose to pitch tents on our lot while our friends who stay two weeks at this location every summer use campers.  If you have a family with young children it may be more comfortable and enjoyable to consider renting a camper, depending on how long you plan to stay.

For us a two night stay was perfect and while storms threatened to ruin our stay, the weather ended up being breezy, so comfortable and overall beautiful.  Be sure to never rely on the weather forecast or let it hold you back, sorry meteorologists.  However, the other camping trip we mentioned which we did make on shorter notice  (I can be spontaneous sometimes!) was to Higgin's Lake.  We encountered some serious rain and it became a memorable trip when we woke up to observe our friends sleeping in their vehicles with dogs and drenched, collapsed tents!! Thankfully, although of course not without a little midst throughout the nights we were lucky enough to have chosen a more dependable tent apparently. Spend wisely and do your research!  I encourage you to think twice about your purchase of a blow up air mattress too! Many people had deflated mattresses, so I would consider spending a little more to guarantee you won't be sleeping on the ground by the morning.

Now that i've detered you from camping!! Honestly, we truly had an amazing time, there is something really special about being in nature and working together to make fires, meals and even a little home for the duration of your stay.  So ladies, be open minded and maybe consider it?! Hey, I mentioned they had a bathroom it can't be all that bad.  But guys, sometimes you have to sacrifice the real wilderness adventures... so why not check out wildreness state park!! Plan ahead and have something to look forward to always!

No comments:

Post a Comment