Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Fall in Love, Michigan





I got to share in my husband's 23rd birthday with him this past weekend. Being high school sweethearts we have spent previous birthdays together celebrating. This year was special because I got to celebrate with my HUSBAND! We celebrated by going back to beautiful northern Michigan where Steve proposed to me the same wknd, a year prior. So take some tips away guys...: )

Steve had borrowed a GPS and insisted that I could not know where we were going for our weekend road trip, I was advised to dress warm though! I assumed we would of course stay close, in Michigan, but there are so many great places I had considered that we might be headed to! Where do you think he took me when we left from Grand Rapids??? The drive was especially beautiful because the fall colors were in peak last October! After a few hours we were near Traverse City.

Once I realized where we were, he took me to a nature trail on a small lake outside of Traverse City. We unpacked our picnic blanket under a thick woods of tall trees with beautiful rays of light shining down on us. Next, we headed up to the Leelanau Peninsula where he took me to an amazing wine trail ( we were both 21 and excited to be able to partake!) Not only were most of them free to taste (being cheap college students) but the views of vineyards and the surrounding water was gorgeous. There were so many to visit we didn't even see them all! Our favorite winery became Leelanau Cellars which allowed us to try as many tastings as we wanted as we overlooked the beautiful bay in Omena, MI. Needless to say we bought a bottle of Baco Noir to celebrate next year.

It's already been a year and again we traveled North this year to celebrate my husband's birthday and one year since his proposal!

Oh right, how he proposed!! ... After being bundled up for beautiful Michigan fall weather, wine tasting, and picnics (with our special picnic backpack- an essential for travel!), we hiked along a trail in Northport, MI ( I'm not a hiker, so these were short trails fortunately) to a beautiful overlook where he bent down on one knee! He was brave because he had never been to that sight before but in northern Michigan EVERYTHING is so pretty! Following his proposal just before the sun was about to set we headed to a nearby lighthouse in the state park down the road where we continued to celebrate his proposal with a gorgeous sunset! The only complaint would be the terrible phone service up north, although by then everyone had already known that I would have a fiance when i arrived home I think ( Steve got excited) ! Next, off to Grandma's house in Northport to stay for the night... Traveling is even better when you have family and friends to visit and adventure through life with.

More to come on our most recent adventure Up North in celebration of hubby's 23rd birthday! I love road trips in Michigan, the spectacular views are enough to make for cheap entertainment!!

No comments:

Post a Comment